Question:
Is Jurassic Park a possibility?
ordenzo74
2006-04-09 05:56:01 UTC
Is Jurassic Park a possibility?
Nine answers:
Suttkus
2006-04-11 13:22:20 UTC
There are numerous difficulties with the Jurassic Park scenario.

1. We do not have any way to get a complete set of dinosaur DNA. The movie/book addressed this by mixing in DNA from other species. They picked an obscure species of African frog so they could have a forced plot point later. (Dumb, Mr. Chrichton, dumb, especially when you could have used parthenogenesis to have the same plot twist!) This doesn't really work, though. You could mix in other things, and you might get something close to a dinosaur, but more than likely you wouldn't.

Getting dinosaur DNA at all is rare. Insects fossilized in amber do not have a good supply of functional Dino DNA despite the film/book. Blood drinkers digest their food very quickly, while being covered in amber takes a while. They've digested your sample! Even if they somehow didn't, the bacteria inside them will corrupt the samples.

But, suppose, despite all this, you found some intact blood in an insect trapped in amber. Okay, what is it? Blood drinkers aren't very picky about where they get blood. Is your sample a T. rex? Diplodocus? More than likely it isn't from a dinosaur at all, they did not have the world all to themselves! And you can't really tell without sequencing the DNA, which destroys it, oops! Can't clone that! Wouldn't work anyway, we have no T. rex DNA to compare it too! Okay, so the only way to see what we've got is to actually clone it. But we can't, because...

2. No mother. Organisms do not come to term on their own. Even egg laying species need to have the proper envirionment for the embryo during egg development. Without close dinosaur relevatives, we have nothing to create the eggs nor anything to study the egg development to make them ourselves. But, by point #1 above, we don't know what our sample is unless we sequence it, and that would destroy it! If we sequenced it, we could tell if it was a mammal or a reptile or what, but that's not a specific enough mother. The whole thing bogs down to an impractical mess.

It's possible that future technological advances will get around some of these problems, though I cannot imagine how. I expect time travel will let us see dinosaurs before genetic engineering.

And, no, I don't really think time travel is happening anytime soon either!
NeuroProf
2006-04-09 12:23:10 UTC
No, unfortunately it isnt. In order to generate a true dinosaur (even hypothetically assuming we get to the point we can generate an animal from DNA alone) requires an almost perfect DNA sequence, which is likely impossible. We may get small strands of DNA, but it wouldnt come close to being enough. It's a lot more likely that we will understand genetics well enough at some point in the future to construct genes that would result in a dinosaur-like creature, than it is that we would actually discover or extract real dinosaur DNA. Dinos died out 65 million years ago. Mammoths died out very recently, maybe as little as 10 thousand years ago or less-long enough that actual frozen mammoth meat can be found, and perhaps perfectly preserved DNA. So, for each year that a mammoth has been gone, Dinos have been gone for 60,000 years. 60,000 times older is a LOT older. Imagine comparing a dish of leftovers from yesterday (1 day old) to a dish of leftovers from the year 1840 (60,000 days).
tnsoccerdog
2006-04-09 06:01:59 UTC
As of today Jurassic Park is not a possibility. But there are scientist out there that are trying to break the DNA code and if they do and they have a good DNA signature from a dinosaur then there is a possibilty.
wesch
2016-11-12 14:03:00 UTC
I favor! i'd be achieveable in the destiny, yet contemporary technologies doesn't enable us clone animals with no "host" animal to advance it in, one which must have VERY similar genetics to the single being cloned! yet probably the hardest area must be quite getting the DNA strands, how they were given them in the movie must be almost not achieveable to ensue! What quite must be a danger although is an "Ice age" park, animals from the ice age are a lot extra recent, so DNA is fairly straight forward to go back by! (finished mammoths have auctually been chanced on frozen in the tundra, fur and all!) also they have many residing relatives as we communicate, so theoraticaly in case you chanced on DNA for a sabre tooth cat you ought to mabye clone it utilising a present day tiger! It does not be a real sabre tooth tiger reason the favored tiger genetics must be jumbled in slightly, however it will be somewhat close! that can make an exceptionally good park!
kriend
2006-04-09 06:25:09 UTC
With the advancements in cloning and DNA, don't be surprised if someone makes that mistake one day.
2006-04-09 08:16:05 UTC
I believe they are working on a Baby Mammoth.
♥Monique♥
2006-04-09 06:54:15 UTC
I don't think so but maybe in some unknown place on earth (if their is any) it could happen.
CraZyGuy
2006-04-09 06:25:23 UTC
No buddy..its jus a film..
P@kU_B8Si*