Question:
What is the diving bird in Md we saw on the bay with an orange stripe around its beak.?
lolaray3
2006-04-02 10:02:11 UTC
What is the diving bird in Md we saw on the bay with an orange stripe around its beak.?
Two answers:
Danaerys
2006-04-02 14:48:28 UTC
I'm guessing it was a tern. They may appear to have an orange ring because the base of the bill is orange and the end of the bill is black. They do dive.

Did it look anything like this?

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i0700id.html
2006-04-02 17:28:23 UTC
the only one i can think of is the Black Skimmer, but that's not a diving bird, it skims across the surface of the water with its lower jaw in the water, and snaps up fishies.

did you actually see it diving, or was it just a bird along the shore?